I am a software engineer and a visual effects artist with over ten years of production experience in film and real-time graphics. I currently work for a self-driving car company developing real-time simulations of urban environments to help test and train our fleet of autonomous vehicles. Prior to that I worked as a visual effects artist for VR, AR, and live-action film.
SENIOR TECHNICAL ARTIST, GM CRUISE LLC — 2018 - Present
- Real-time simulation of urban environments for use in machine learning.
- Performance optimization of large-scale environments.
- Core engine development and pipeline tool creation.
- VFX, lighting, and material look development.
TECHNICAL Artist, ILMxLAB — 2016 - 2018
- VFX, lighting, and look development for real-time photo-realistic VR and AR in Unreal Engine 4.
- Performance profiling and optimization.
Senior EFFECTS TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC — 2010 - 2016
- Lead effects artist and sequence supervisor.
- Particle and fluid simulation artist specializing in destruction for feature film.
- Asset development, bidding, scheduling, and supervising a crew of effects artists.
ASSISTANT EFFECTS TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC — 2009 - 2010
- Supported simulation tools and workflow for effects artists.
- Facility effects simulation trainer and mentor for new and returning artists.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT, INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC — 2008 - 2009
- Monitored the facility render farm and developed tools to manage its throughput.
- General troubleshooting of the CG pipeline.
- University of California, Berkeley
- B.A. Computer Science, 2008
- Python, PyQt, C++
- Houdini, Unreal Engine 4, Maya, Nuke
- PBR with Substance Designer & Painter
- Procedural workflows using Houdini Engine.
- Fluid and particle simulation and rendering
- Real-time VFX for VR on HTC VIVE and Oculus Rift
- Training, mentoring, team management, bidding
- Agile development with Scrum
- Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Jurassic World
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Pacific Rim
- The Lone Ranger
- Cloud Atlas
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
- Cowboys & Aliens
- The Last Airbender
- Star Trek
- Awarded “Best Effects Simulation” internally by my peers for Captain America: The Winter Solider, Battleship, and Cowboys & Aliens.
- Sequence Supervisor for Academy Award nominated Captain America: The Winter Soldier for best visual effects.
- The Holo-Cinema featured at Sundance Film Festival 2016.